Wednesday 27 June 2012

Wonderful Weigel's

I've been obsessed with Weigel's patterns for awhile now. It began with my first Weigel's pattern, found at my local Salvos a few years back...a rather smart men's waistcoat.



Since then I've been avidly seeking out Weigel's patterns. I'm gradually cataloguing as many as I can find on the Vintage Patterns Wiki. When I began there were around 20 or so Weigel's listed...now there are over 700! Still, I believe that in the lifetime of the Weigel's company, 1880 - late 1960s, approximately 10,000 patterns were made. I've got a long way to go!

Madame Weigel's Journal of Fashion, published up until 1950, is a great source of Weigel's patterns too. I've been collecting them for a little while now, the next step is to find some time to go through them all and scan the patterns for the Wiki. The other amazing source for Weigel's patterns are the scarce-as-hens-teeth Weigel's pattern catalogues. I'm the proud owner of ONE.


These were published at least quarterly...where have they all ended up? I've seen evidence of past sales on eBay, before I was collecting. I tracked down a beautiful, fragile 1920s catalogue to the State Library of South Australia. I had to request to view it, then register as a user for their special collections room where they presented it to me in a cardboard folder. Scanning was not an option as the pages were too fragile, so I spent two afternoons painstakingly photographing each tiny garment image. Nearly needed a stretcher after hunching over the table for all those hours. I'm yet to find the time to upload and edit all those photos, then to add them to the Wiki, but here's a sneak preview of the cover.


And another recent discovery was that the National Library of Australia has several original Weigel's catalogues and magazines. Digital copies can be requested online and are reasonably priced, delivered via email as a lovely scanned file. I ordered two catalogues from 1953 and was delighted to see this gorgeous cover appear on my computer screen.


So, I have many hundreds of hours work to do on the Wiki! Oh, and if you ever find an original Weigel's catalogue in your travels, you'll know who to tell.

4 comments:

  1. I just got two in a box with a lot of other vintage patterns. One is numbered 2602, the other isn't, so not sure how old it is. Amazed that the national library of Australia has a collection! I only found out yesterday that Weigel's existed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently purchased five Weigel's shop catalogues all 1960's . Was wanting to know if these were of any value to anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Thanks for letting me know...YES, I am interested in your catalogues! I would love to buy them!!!
      Please get in touch on 0423 007 219 or gogoleira@gmail.com, as commenting here sometimes gets flagged as spam.

      Thanks so much!
      Libby

      Delete
    2. Hi again - please do get in touch as I would love to know more about these catalogues. I hope we can talk about them soon, Cheers Libby
      0423 007 219

      Delete